Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Days 3 and 4

You really couldn't tell, but Day 1 and 2 at Disney World were wet.  We took lots of these pictures inside so it's better, but there was rain...and lots of it.

Day 3 at Disney World was Tuesday at Magic Kingdom.  This was probably the rainiest day we had.  It was non-stop all day long.  Sometimes it was drizzling, sometimes it was pouring.  This was also the last day we braved the park before we purchased the stroller cover for Katherine.  That was something we probably should have done on Day 1, but you live and learn, right?

I actually had to list all the attractions and ask John which ones they did.  I was probably only with the group for a few hours of the day.  It really did pour all day and we didn't have much protection for Katherine, so she and I spent a lot of time shopping on Main Street and in the VERY accommodating Baby care center.

So, John tells me they rode Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear (which David loved and they did several times), Tomorrowland Indy Speedway, Astro Orbiter, Jungle Cruise (where John says they had a very comical "driver"), Pirates of the Caribbean (they thought wasn't very good), Dumbo Flying Elephant (where they actually had to wait in a long line and David was NOT happy about it), Peter Pan's Flight, Mickey's PhilharMagic, Cinderella's Carrousel, Splash Mountain, and of course, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.  I actually rode a few of those things with them - especially in Fantasyland.  And they did finally talk me in to riding Splash Mountain and I did okay on that one.  I only rode it once and David was not happy that I wouldn't put my hands in the air, but I did ride it and I didn't have to be carried to the car!

Here's a pretty representative (of the weather) picture of David on the carrousel:
We also did wait in a slight line for some character pictures.  We mistakenly thought we'd see Mickey and we didn't so we were disappointed, but we did see some fun ones.

This is David waiting in line:
And the Fairy Godmother came out to visit while we waited.  I actually didn't know who she was until she signed David's autograph book!  I failed Disney 101.
When it was our turn, Donald actually came out and got us!  We were the first in line of our group so that was a super fun thrill for David and his cousin Lauren.
Then the character pictures...Donald
Pluto - doncha love Lauren's expression?!
Goofy:
Who was very sweet to little sister Katherine.
That evening, I decided we were just asking too much of Katherine for her to stay 12 hours at the park 2 days in a row, so she and I left about 7:30.  John was a wonderful Daddy/Hubby and got us to the car (soaking wet) and all our stuff loaded, then he walked all the way back to meet up with everyone.  They all stayed for the Wishes Fireworks show.  Of course, it would have been nice to see it, but I'm not really all that heartbroken.  My girl was done and that really made me done too.  We had some nice time together and she was certainly happy to have some time to just play in the floor!

On day 4 (which is Wednesday for those of you keeping up) we actually stayed around the hotel until the early afternoon.  The rain was pretty bad and Katherine and I pretty much refused to go back out until we found a stroller cover for her.  We went to Target, nothing; Walmart, nothing; we finally found a Babies R Us (once I figured out how to use this new thing called the internet) and got a cover.  Su-weet, we were ready to go!  For this day, even though our "tour guide" advised against it, we went to Hollywood Studios.  We had been told this would be a busy day for this park, but we thought all that might be out the window because of the storm.  Ummmm, we were wrong.  It was BUSY that day.  Oops.

Anywho.

David and I watched the Playhouse Disney show which I think was aimed at a much younger audience than David, but he still did well and right after that, John was standing outside the show with David's Mickey Mouse in hand (David REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to show Mickey Mouse that he had a Mickey Mouse stuffed animal) telling us to RUN in this building, he thinks Mickey is there.

Well, sure enough, Daddy was RIGHT!
David was so excited to show Mickey his Mickey and Mickey was very indulgent.  Here he is posing laying on the ground - not sure what that was about, but I went with it.
We also saw Minnie, who gave the Mickey toy a huge hug.
And then posed with David.
And we saw Goofy and some other dude.  I'm sure one of you knows who this is - please enlighten us.  We have no idea.
And Pinocchio.
And then there was Quincy from the Little Einsteins.
Handy Manny (I think that's how you spell his name)...
And the spaceship from Little Einsteins.
June from, you guess it, Little Einsteins.

We actually spent Day 4 and Day 6 at Hollywood Studios, so it runs together, but we did a bunch of stuff there.  I think on Day 4, they did the Star Wars ride, and the taller folks in our group did the Rockin' Roller Coaster several times.  Katherine and I did a LOT of shopping this day.  I was tired of just looking and was ready to buy, so I got a souvenir shirt and a very cute Disney World rain jacket!  We spent a lot of time at this park walking around and looking at stuff, which wasn't the most fun thing for David, but I think he still had a great time.  His favorite ride of the day was the Tower Of Terror.  He rode it several times and ended up actually getting a little bit "done" with it.  We also saw the Beauty and the Beast show which was REALLY good, but I'm not sure that David really enjoyed it all that much.

Since we got a late start on Day 4, we decided it was a great day to stay late for the Fantasmic show.  It was really great.  It's amazing what they can do with light on water.  David loved the fireworks.  It rained the whole show, but once again, it wasn't hot, and we were all just fine.

I'll post day 5 and 6 next.  Whew...

6 comments:

The Armstrong Family said...

What a fun trip... The Mickey & Minnie pictures are my favorite!

Lilypad Mom said...

Tower of Terror? I've heard many adults say that's very scary! Wow - go David!! Love the character pics. David looks sooo happy to meet Mickey!

Unknown said...

I'm glad David finally got to meet Mickey! Sounds like you guys made the best of the weather. I don't know who that is with Goofy either...Funny about failing Disney 101.

Unknown said...

Mystery solved thanks to Wikipedia. Max Goof is the teenage son of Goofy and appears in the photo with David and Goofy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Goof

Unknown said...

Thanks for clearing up the mystery! But for me, that just creates more questions. Teenage Son? Is Goofy married? We're talking about a Disney character so you'd think there would be a Mrs Goofy right? The first thing that came to mind was Clarabelle Cow. But I didn't remember them being married maybe just a brief romance. From what I can find Goofy's wife was just referred to breifly and never really shown in any of the cartoons.

Unknown said...

What am I, Wikibloganswerperson? There should be some mystery in the world. We know that Goofy will probably not be running for public office, it seems there might be some skeletons in the closet.

Accordning to HooZoo (http://users.cwnet.com/xephyr/rich/dzone/hoozoo/hzlist.html), "Mrs. Goofy" appeared in four Goofy cartoons. This character is almost certainly Max's mom.
It is also suspected that "Mrs. Goofy" is the same character as Minnie Mouse's childhood friend "Penny" from the Minnie 'n Me book series.

Calisota Online (http://goofy313g.free.fr/calisota_online/index.html), who researches Disney comics and cartoons, has a Goofy family tree, and claims that the character "Glory Bee", who appeared in some "Mickey Mouse" daily comic strip may also be the same character as well.

Also according to Calisa Online, in the Goofy cartoons in which Mrs. Goofy appeared, we see only her legs and arms. So we may never know whether Mrs. Goofy, Penny, and / or Glory Bee are the same character or not. Glory Bee does, however, somewhat resemble a grown-up Penny. And there are other reasons to suspect they are all the same person. See the referenced web site.

Is this a blog or a comment?